Friday, December 28, 2018

Aspen Tree Painting,Birch Trees, Abstract Landscape by Colorado Contemporary Landscape Artist Kimberly Conrad

Hi:)

I hope you are enjoying the Holiday season! We had a full house for Christmas as usual; 12 people, 9 dogs and 48 hours of Joyful Chaos from the morning of the 23rd to the morning of the 25th. The 26th, I was back in the studio working on the first of four large commissioned pieces. Today I'm sharing a bit of the process. The first photo below is a painting of mine that my clients found online in google images. They requested two of the four be similar to this piece in composition, and also wanted this palette. This piece is a 12"x12" from my Dancing in the Moonlight series. The commission size is 54"x54". Soooooo, quite a difference in size, and a little challenging to translate to scale.



The photo below is the poured background after it had dried, and I had marked where I wanted my trees to go. I poured the background in my Denver studio, then when it dried, transported it to the Centennial studio ( my home studio) and have been working on the trees the past two days. I wanted the Denver studio to be freed up to pour the backgrounds of the next 3 pieces. The piece below has a beautiful navy blue in it, but looks more black in this photo due to the lighting in the studio.



This next photo shows a bit of my process, I paint the trees one at a time, wet on wet with my hands and fingers which helps to give the movement in the tree bark that I am known for.



The photo below is a detail shot of part of one of the trees.



Below is where I am at this point, with the trees completed. Tomorrow I will work on highlights, and more details, the hopefully be ready to add the snow!



This morning I took a short break from this piece and went back to the Denver studio to pour the second background.....I will share those photos soon!!)

View my available work at https://kimberlyconradcontemporaryart.com

Visit my Denver Gallery:
Kimberly Conrad Contemporary Art Gallery
Boarding House Studio Galleries 
220 East 7th Ave (Governer's Park)
Denver, CO 80203

No comments: